Monday, July 4, 2011

A Motorcycle tour of the Somme Valley

To be precise this is the third time that I have tried to write this blog entry and the vagaries of blogger.com have thwarted me twice.  I have therefore reverted to lazy blogging. It's my blog and I do what I like.

Clacket lane services eastbound 17:13 15.06.2011. - Nikos turns into a gob stopper dispensing machine


The 30 second elevator pitch is:

My friend NigeI of (Advancedbiker fame) organised a short tour to northern France just like the one last year but with more people. Mrs Nikos says that she enjoys feeding 12 people.  It rained a lot on the way there, I mastered filtering on the M25 London Orbital Motorway that was at a virtual standstill for 25 miles. It rained in France but we saw a lot of tunnels and rusty military stuff.  The Somme museum at Albert is housed in WW2 tunnels built by the Germans. On Sunday it was mostly sunny. The Vimy Ridge memorial is special and archaeologists have been digging up Thiepval Woods.  Apparently woods are not a good place to be during trench warfare especially when the mustard gas deployed blows back down the hill into the woods.   The waffles are nice at Ypres and they celebrate the last post there every day at 8pm.  The V1 and V2 museum is quite interesting at la Coupole. It rained a lot on the way home.  Mrs Nikos rescued another male kitten.

The long and short of it is if you want to see the pictures look here----->THE PICTURES

10 comments:

  1. Ah Stavros....great photos. I spent a week in Doullens two years ago, recovering from la grippe du porc and toured the area extensively, spreading my virus. Then I lost my camera.......at Clacket Lane! So you have helped restore my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandad did an extended tour of the Somme Valley in 1914-1918, as did many people's grandads. If it's of any interest to Mrs Nikos, he said they bore no ill-feeling to the German soldiers whatsoever, realising that they were simply a bunch of equally miserable bombed-up bastards. Well done on the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikos:
    Didn't know you knew Nigel - it's his videos which keep me sane when I can't be bothered to do a practice run in the rain. Are you in any of his videos perchance? I must look for someone towering over his adventure bike!!

    Gadjo Dilo: My late grandfather was also on tour there...

    From a wet and windy NZ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Affer

    I think that I saw a camera in the gob stopper machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gadjo

    Mrs Nikos blames the politicians. As we both have Greek blood we are fully entitled to think this and have living proof of what a bunch of self serving thieving bastards they all are (except Mrs Thatcher and Winston Churchill )

    I'm sure that the cat is Turkish although he was found abandoned in a hedge in Northern France in a carrier bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geoff

    I sincerely hope that I do not appear in Nigels' videos - I know that he wants to portray a quality image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photos! I love the one you included in this post and loved the poppies too.

    Sorry to hear you're having problems with Blogger. Have you heard of Windows Live Writer? It allows you to compose your posts off-line, pop in photos (which it then uploads to Picasa) and then you can publish when it is all done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emm

    Thanks for your nice comments and advice - I'll certainly look into Live writer - the blogger programme drove me crazy and kept locking up after I had uploaded more than 2 or 3 photographs -aarrrghhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Nikos:

    I took my time with this piece, going over each photograph carefully. I deeply regret that there were no captions, but appreciated the close-ups on signs, posters, and advisories that sort of explained ewhat was going on.

    However, what the hell is a gob-stopper machine? And, are Brits occasionally puzzled over quaint American words as we are with references to things like the "gob stopper machine?"

    Fondest regards,
    Jack/reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jack

    Apologies for the lack of captions - I spent so much time on this post and lost all the original work due to blogger trouble.

    Gobstopper = jawbreaker according to

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobstopper

    machine = dispenser?

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter