Thursday, June 16, 2011

Euphemisms, Euphemisms, they've all got it in for me.

Who remembers the  famous Kenneth Williams Carry On Cleo line?

Other one liners of note are:

 "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy."


 "Remember you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did."


 "Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love."


"Do you have a licence for your minkey?"


Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room."


I digress.

I am fortunate enough to live near Tatton Park , and frequently Classic Car shows are hosted there. Last weekend I hopped on my bicycle and queue jumped nicely past several miles of smoking Sunbeam Rapers and Ford Crapis with great anticipation especially as I was charged £7.50 for entry.

On arrival, the rear bumper of the Hillman Imp has fallen off as shocked spectators look on helplessly as the owner shoves it back on.
Euphemism No.1 Classic Car show = Autojumble
The nice couple of Minkey Bikes - original and Chinese copy.  The nice owner would not sell me the original, but rather he was trying to push the disc barked clinky copy for £650.
A Blitish Minkey Bike?
A quartet of Longbridge's finest
A friction damper
??
Never fails to draw a crowd - the corner dedicated to the species who like like to cause traffic jams of epic proportions whenever they can.
Another euphemism for people who like to dress up in uniforms - the word escapes me.

Twin Zodiacs
Allegro owners club tour de farce.
The dodgy Rolls dodgy Royce dodgy Owners dodgy club are out in force too leaking LHM hydraulic fluid everywhere.
 
WYSIWYG
Pratt & Whitney used a similar eagle logo on their Wasp engine.

15 comments:

  1. Was the Imp's bumper reinstalled with special automotive glue? Gotta give the Autojumble kudos...the British in the Blue Ridge Rally last weekend was no where near as organized, or classy, with their junk...err jumble.

    And those Zodiac's remind me of my first car. :)

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan Sims in Don't Lose Your Head:
    "That's my brother, the Count."

    Oh Joan, you NAUGHTY girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the All Agros I wondered if there is any vehicle so dreadful that someone, somewhere hasn't formed a club for it, then I remebered the Morris Marina owners club, and realised there is not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah....the Imp. I once worked for a rather large automotive components company and we instigated the first UK Mechanic of the Year contest - some time before Ford copied the scheme, I may add. In 1967 or thereabouts, the prize was a brand new Hillman Imp.

    It was a tough contest, the winner was a superb technician, we handed over the prize amidst a lot of press photographers, and waved him goodbye.

    The next morning, various papers like the Mail and the Express, carried mocking stories of how even the Mechanic of the Year had been unable to cope when the Imp broke down after a mere 15 miles - and had to be towed home by the AA!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I note that the friction damper on the Norton looks bright and shiny compared with the rest of the bike. A toss-up whether it's shiny new alloy or polished from energetic over-use :-).

    Many of the classics (another euphemism) are still in daily use in NZ due to a lack of salt on the roads and mild climate. Sadly, Allegros are still plentiful. Owners should really be prosecuted for impersonating car enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you buy the arc welder (behind the funny motorbike in Picture 7)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And then there's the Reliant Robin club...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori

    the bumper was installed with a lot of thumping and invective - probably as used when originally manufactured up in Scotland.

    thanks for writing in, N

    ReplyDelete
  9. Affer

    You were a Joan Sims man rather than a Barbara Windsor ogler?

    Interesting

    N

    ReplyDelete
  10. MarkE

    Worse than the Marina was the Ital. I tried to drive one down the M1 once and had to use countersteering and peg weighting all the way to keep her straight when passing lorries...sorry, correction, when lorries past me.
    N

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geoff

    I always imagined that New Zealand resembles Cranleigh High Street in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s - wall to wall Morris Minors. Now my fantasy has been wrecked!

    N

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alice dear

    Well spotted but no dear

    xsN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny

    I always thought that the Heinkels and Messerschmits had more street cred!

    Thanks for writing in and welcome to my eclecticism

    N

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a dream last night I was riding an r90. Thanks for pulling that one out of my subconscious - it was a good dream. Some day I will have one in real life. It will be an amazing day graced by unicorns and rainbows. Or, leather and crazy goggles.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
    http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brady

    What about unicorns wearing crazy leather goggles? That just leaves rainbows to chew over.

    Thanks for commenting, N

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter