Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Plane Spotty Cyclist

I don't mind living near an airport.  In fact as a youth I spent most of my time outside on the school playing fields (compulsory games four times per week) gazing into the sky over South East London watching first generation  jets stacking over Biggin Hill and then lining up to land at Heathrow.

And now, in later life seated impotently on my Aldi gel saddle cover, I explored the country lanes of Cheshire headed in the general direction of Manchester Airport.

That sunny morning Mrs Nikos heads to Germany following her guest appearance in ScooterBobs epilogue--->HERE

Later that day, it turns out that I rode 16 miles

One of many "crash gates" to allow the Airport fire service to exit the airport controlled area should the worst happen in Nether Knutsford.

To complement my Aldi gel saddle cover I now sport an Aldi LED helmet

The proverbial wind sock

Nothing beats England on a sunny spring day with the cumulo nimbus clouds strutting their stuff across the Cheshire Plain

Moving on from the crash gate a super vantage point is reached with a nice view of the airport shopping complex spoilt only by aircraft operations.

I appear to be following the Runway 2 Trail complete with Bats

A flymaybe Faster than road or rail buzzes me

A little further along the trail I discover the River Bollin

Quite a cathedral this, passing under the second runway

The scale of this culvert is quite unexpected.

On my way to Frankfurt a few days later, I survey the runway in the direction of the River Bollin from my usual Termianl 1 vantage point with the usual weather front.

4 comments:

  1. Nice job sporting some high vis yellow while riding your bicycle.

    Thanks for sharing the pics. Always enjoy seeing the airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16 miles - that's an excellent bicycle trip. Is there anyone who isn't in awe when an airplane flies overhead but did you duck when you were buzzed? Nice selfie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was virtually on the same level on a grass bank!

      Delete

Site Meter