Friday, April 10, 2015

Cruising to Europe with Spock

Obviously when I booked the overnight pasage from Hull to Rotterdam some months ago I could not predict that winter weather and gales would prevail.  Luckily (used advisedly) the worst of the sleet and driving rain with 50mph north westerly winds encountered on the Woodhead pass petered out on the east of the Pennine hills.  All that remained were biting winds and sunny weather. And the circuit to the electrically heated gloves failed.



A few days before....

How to secure a luggage pack containing essentail gluten free products to Spock - some very useful hooks purchased some years ago and found languishing in my oddments box.

Meet Spock......

Born in Thailand with promise to ergo-fit Mr and Mrs, a Kawasaki Vulcan S waits for the Pride of Hull.
Meet Rowan, an Ozzy on his way to Galipolli with his Tiger  to attend the 100 year commemorations.
Your proverbial on-board selfie
Your proverbial cabin selfie of sorts
The next morning and now firmly on the continent one proceded from scenic Rotterdam at a stately pace due to the breaking in restrictions of 4000rpm:  Never mind holding up the trucks - I don't want to end up with a "broken down" motorcycle after 1000km as the Kawasaki owner's manual points out on page 70. 

This stock picture resembles Rotterdam, located across half of Holland, a mostly desolate country with virtually no motorway service areas but with people displaying themselves in their front rooms ("allegedly").
After some hours at 4000rpm I divert through Venlo by mistake (taking in the sites and roadworks, diversions etc.) and eventually end up in Germany where I hold up traffic on the A61 until Koblenz.

I arrive at Bad Ems - my hands are too cold to operate my camera but suffice it to say the final leg of the journey to Wiesbaden through the Taunus and river valleys was beautiful and memorable.
On arrival in Wiesbaden I unload the cargo of gluten free products and muse that in 100km I can go at 6000rpm.
Hot Tip:  Always keep your hybrid Gernings electric gloves charged up especially when the onboard wiring harness has failed  - there is normally a socket available somewhere or other in a German service area. 


10 comments:

  1. Nick, when did that happen? What a handsome bike, like the name too, is it because the headlamp looks like a raised eyebrow?
    Please tell me more about your riding experience (two up as well). A friend of mine is in the market for purchasing a cruiser is on the fence whether to buy this one or a Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonja, it all happened very quickly just before Easter! This is when I discovered low cost finance and the release of the Vulcan S at my nearest motorcycle dealer whilst looking over a Honda Shadow.
      So far I'm very impressed but I have never ridden this style of bike before. To be frank I found it more comfortable on the long journey than my R1200GS! (I think due to the raised handlebars.)The footpegs adjust to suit longer legs. We have been 2 up just for a jaunt around town with the only comment being that Mrs N had to hold on to me! (I want to add a backrest and some saddlebags). Handling is responsive and ABS is standard. As we are "breaking in", I can't comment on the power - about 60ps - adequate I guess. The name is in tribute to Leonard..... We may energise in the Black Forest soon to introduce ourselves ..

      Delete
    2. Fascinating! Looking forward to hearing more about it while you're braking in the new steed und getting introduced ;-). Give us a ring when plans are being made to see what fits the schedule best.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty dramatic change from the GS! It sounds like it fits you well. Overall, how well do you like the battery powered Gerbing gloves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard
      The gloves are brilliant -- well worth having the batteries fitted - unfortunately for the long trip I had only a few days to connect up the bike power lead as an alternative power source and somehow I did not test it - turns out the fuse was blown. The gloves have a major advnatage over heated grips in that they keep the thumbs warm!

      Delete
    2. PS the gloves would be even more brilliant if Gerbings supplied an on bike battery charger - should not be difficult to construct.

      Delete
  3. The Kawa looks nice ! And different from what I associate with "Kawasaki", my image of the brand is always coined from giftgrün cross-machines. I fondly remember the six-cylinder they built back in stone-age, what a bomber ! Impressive still today, I guess. If I had money & time I'd built a small collection, and this one would be a part of it. Together with one of the famous three-cylinder Yamahas, and a Wasserbüffel of course, but I do not believe that one survived ...
    Will you have an oil change after the first thousand km ? BTW I saw lately a beautiful R 80/6, in green ( a Behördenmaschine), just ready to go, ach ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instruction manual threatens eternal damnation if I fail to change the oil at 1000 km so I had better arrange this. The Yeti maintenance computer with variable service intervals tells me I must change oil for the first time at 18,000 miles, quite a contrast!

      Delete
  4. Nice looking steed that Vulcan.

    Hurry and get to Sonja and Roland's. They'll warm your hands up by fixing you a hot cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the arm chair world of cruisers. Mrs. N. will definitely need a backrest though. Nice looking bike hope you have many happy miles.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter