Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ronny Goes to Germany

Ronny the BMW F650GS motorcycle is going to live in Germany.  She was bought for Mrs Nikos and will be located on mainland Europe as part of the ever expanding, dispersing and aging Nikos World Motorcycle Fleet.

Ronny posing in front of one of those quintessentially British aviation flops - the de Havilland Trident 3B at my favourite place.  Some twat of a plane spotter parked his Skoda to spoil the scene.

In fact the mission would have at least two extra purposes including bringing back the old heap of a BMW R65 for restoration or burial in England, and filling the car with cheap wine (aka "going on a booze cruise").

 Driving towards the port of Dover - M20 Morning Mist after a dodgy glass or two of Cabernet Sauvignon the evening before at Ashford Travelodge
This is the rig (US style motorcycle touring in comfort and convenience) - Ronny follows me sitting on a Motolug trailer,   Mainland Europe is cut off from England so we catch a Sea France ferry from Dover to Calais (cheapest fare with a trailer).  Here we are at Dover port under the white cliffs.
Luckily the Tomtom urges me not to drive into the sea.  414 miles to go to Wiesbaden.
Leaving Dover port - 23 miles to Calais as the old crow flies.
A decent coffee, and a breakfast pastry at last .
Somewhere in Belgium, Portaloo?
Crossing the Mosel. Better than going near Cologne.
At Wiesbaden - Ronny is rapidly swapped for von Krankenshite for enforced transportation to England
Despite my arrival, the boys are happy.
NOW FOR THE COMESTIBLES.

Mrs N and I cycle to the Rhine and Mrs N treats me.

We carry on a bit and stop at Biebrich for deserts - his.
These look healthy - hers.

23 comments:

  1. Never has the M20 looked quite so romantic.
    Sx

    P.S I am coveting that portaloo for my series of toileting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking deserts! But I wouldnt' mind the occasional Bretzeln mit (Weiss)Bier either. A lot of going back and forth between Germany and UK... never thought a booze cruise to Germany would make sense ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Nikos,

    Is there anything you'd like to leave in NZ for occasional use? Your big Beemer would be well-cared for at chez James.

    I see you have a Tom-Tom. Is that because they are the only ones who supply Joanna Lumley's voice? Wish I knew that before buying the Garmin. We currently have Darth Vader

    Good to see some Kiwifriut on your plate. Next time, mash some and put them in a plastic bag with some steak for a few hours before BBQ'ing them. The enzymes are a great tenderiser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food pics look great, I am with Geofff, you can always leave one of your 'fleet" at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I want to know how many bikes you have stashed in which countries but it looks like a great way to enjoy retirement.

    PS - I covet those desserts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you need to leave a GS in Alaska. I'll be sure to run it periodically to keep things lubricated....

    Very nice food shots of the dessert. I can never remember to take them especially something that looks as good as that.

    I like the "US style motorcycle touring " comment as there does seem to be a lot of that. What kind of shape is the R65 in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Nikos,

    I do wish you would have dropped that motorcycle off at my place in Munich. I miss my F650GS. I'm lamenting the void in my life right now.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nikos:

    What a cute little trailer? Can you fold that and carry it on the bike?

    I reget I have fallen into the trailering kind of touring lately... But my knees are starting to feel better in the cooler weather and I hope to be trailiering less next season.

    I like the ferry from Dover. I seem to recall taking a hovercraft from Britain to France in the late '80's. I would love to ride my K75 in Europe. Actually, Nikos, I'd like to ride around with you.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack/reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah woah woah woah, Portaloo, finally facing my Portaloo.

    Is Ronny named after Ronny Spector, a woman almost as sassy as what Mrs Nikos is??

    ReplyDelete
  10. The two boys are looking good....and so are the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ms Loo Blue

    I intend to blog a deep dive into Euro loos soon - this was just to wet your fancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sonja

    fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previouscomplete dick heads?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geoff

    fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previous complete dick heads?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roger

    fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previous complete dick heads?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trobairitz

    I won't offer you the R65

    ReplyDelete
  16. Richard

    Fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previous complete dick heads.


    condition: it may still run - just

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jack

    Fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previous complete dick heads?

    PS

    I could store it here for you at the bottom of the local pond.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gadjo

    Fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previous complete dick heads.

    I thought Ronny was a girls name!

    (er, what?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Affer

    Fancy a BMW R65? One careful lady owner and three previouscomplete dick heads.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nikos:
    The first bike I ever rode was a blue R65 very similar to the one on the trailer. Snowflakes, luggage racks and all. I was looking for an R65 but ended up getting my R100RT. I thought that the R65 had plenty of power and may be a bit more economical. Is it a late 70's model?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brady

    Come and visit us in Wiesbaden!

    You could even give Ronny a spin.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Richard

    She's a 1981 model but in need of quite a lot of work (e.g. leaking rear hub drive). The bike is a little cramped for me, especially as there appears to be a Bing carburetter where my right foot wants to sit. Touch and go whether I will bother to restore her!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote for the masculine pudding. Looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter