Monday, August 6, 2012

Carry on Down the Rhine - Wesel

I  had no idea that Joachim von Ribbentrop was born in Wesel.  In fact due to my limited recall of famous German diplomats I had thought that he was the lead character in Cabaret. I had the opportunity to visit Wesel recently where Mrs N was dispensing her knowledge.

A stroll along the Rhine at sunset. Behind me the River Lippe has just confluenced.
This is the 3% of 1945 Wesel that was not obliterated in 1945.
This is a viewing balcony adjacent to the rail bridge scuttled by the German Army in retreat in 1945 - the tradition of padlocking one's hearts desire to the railing is a new one to me.
Sweet, Alpha loves Tools, and...
Sarah fancies Peter.
Sheep may safely gaze, but why no red eye?
Back at the bike park in Wiesbaden a Frenchman has arrived.
I take Ronny 650 for a TuV test to see whether she is healthy enough to be registered in Germany.
Oh no, an emissions test, not fair on a 11 year old smoker
Success - I think.  Next step is to obtain a German number plate.....
Leading link front suspension?
Bicycle parked under a sign post.
MORE WONDERMENT HERE------->CLICK

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures Nikos. I liked the ones in the Picasa Album too. What is with the donkey statue half painted with the skeleton? Interesting.

    I had never heard of the padlock on the fence trick. Did you give it a go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikos, you have a sharp eye for (German) oddities. What's with the sheep zombies, and the skeleton donkey?
    Did Ronny survive the TUV?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No padlocks....not required.... yet.

    Ronny passed - we now need to give her a German plate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images! I enjoy the bicycle and sign. Where will that license plate fit on Ronnie? She's so tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .,.she will say

    "does my number plate look big in this"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good you didnt make a photo, while I was freaking out with "german" burocrcy!!! ;O) Mrs. Nikos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good you didnt make a photo as I was freaking out...because of german burocracy...... but now we have the plates ;O)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter