Sunday, December 19, 2010

Boot Fetishism: How to do Everything.

A box of  bits arrive from Motorworks masquerading as a highly prized set of Authority ("Plod") engine protection bars for a BMW K75RT motorcycle.
Rarely in my 30 year career as a professional Engineer and part time motorcycle mechanic, have I had to resort to fetishm to acheive an end result.  In the absence of fitting instructions but with the heartening knowledge gained from the legendary oracle of Pensylvania Jack Riepe that the best way to fit BMW OEM parts is to drink a quart of Bourbon in the house whilst a mate struggles in the garage, I scoured the internet for clues.

First port of call is the excellent RealOEM website where an exploded parts diagram may be found for probably every BMW car or motorcycle ever made.  These diagrams are generally extremely useful. The trouble is the diagrams tend to be generic across different variants and certain parts such as item 19 below do not seem to have a home. The parts lists are specific to a variant and revealed that I need 2 part 19s but part 6 is in fact  a 10 x 65mm fillister head screw.

The BMW OEM parts list obtained from RealOEM.com

I am indebted to Jean Bootsservice in Paris for showing me how Plod bars look installed on a K100.



Left hand bar complete with klaxon.

Right hand bar complete with klaxon.
Nice boots...

13 comments:

  1. Nikos:

    but the're not PINK, good luck with the bars. perhaps if they had a plane large enough, you could fly Jack over . . .

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did a cap head screw become a fillister head? Has my Machinery's Handbook (17th edition) finally come to the end of the road? I did buy it in 1964.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a set of those last year (very used but very cheap) for my old RT but haven't cleaned them up yet or figured out how they go on. I would need to remove the lower fairing since they don't have the openings for them. Maybe another winter project...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boots are smooth and seamless (not necesarily redundant...) but those pants just freak me out!!

    Good luck getting those bars properly attached. Holding them up next to the engine and just bolting them on isn't enough? ;)

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wore leather trousers when I first started welding. My instructor always had a leather apron, but never boots: to dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob
    I tried desperately to find the pink croc(tm) fetish site but you have kept it for "members only".

    Fondest regards,
    Nick • eats • Meatballs
    Nikos World

    ReplyDelete
  8. Affer

    That fillister head sure beat me too. In reality the screw used seems to be a hex headed screw.

    Fondest regards,
    Nick • eats • Meatballs
    Nikos World

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard M

    From whatI can see the bars are mounted offset to the non-faired K75, so they slot through the existing cooling air gaps in the fairing. When the weather gets less cold I'll try and take photographs.

    Fondest regards,
    Nick • eats • Meatballs
    Nikos World

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori

    Thankfully we all have different fantasies but male French Gendarmerie poncing around in skin tight pants is not one of mine. Had it been female then, well...

    Fondest regards,
    Nick • eats • Meatballs
    Nikos World

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alice

    Is this some form of role reversal?

    Fondest regards,
    Nick • eats • Meatballs
    Nikos World

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could have passed you a set of rear crash bars for a Guzzi. Might have helped, but then again.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fiche. It's so damned useful. Helped me through a lot of botched repairs.

    Not that I'd kick the beamer out of bed for eating crackers, but the lines on that thing have all the grace of a toaster.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
    http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter