Thursday, September 23, 2010

Birds Beasts and Relatives.

This is the title of a book by the late Gerald Durrell whose brother Lawrence also wrote in one way or another about Greece. Gerald spent his formative years in Corfu before WW2 where his curious and acquisitive nature lead him to collect all manner of wildlife.  He recounts his adventures in  books called My Family and Other Animals and the sequel Birds Beast and Relatives.  For many years these had been the only two books that I had read ( apart from 97 out of 98 Biggles books ).

This is the corpse of beast  no.1 found in  Mrs Nikos' kitchen sink - we gave it a christian burial.
This is beast no.2 taking residence on my motorcycle and shocking me considerably.  Mrs Nikos called it a grass hopper - I called it a ******* locust.

Beass no. 3: This is a fine example of οδηγημένη ψύλλος γάτα εστιατορίων
Beast no.4:  Goat - Camila sex it please - I am obviously incapable.
Now that I have finished with the beasts I intend to deal with the relatives and other strange or curious things  found in Greece this year:

The newest member of our family - Ginger el Greco, found abandoned 4 houses down the road.
Mrs Nikos aka αυτή που φορά το παντελόνι
  Next I would like to illustrate how confusion may easily set in whilst shopping in local supermarkets.

This is not meths.
This stuff has the same effect as meths if misused.
Essex  appears to be the number one brand of soap powder in Greece!
The crowing glory of this summer trip has to be the ability to produce shaky and poor quality video clips that are seemingly impossible to edit on my stone age equipment of journeys on Greek roads.  I have seen some very good advice shared by fellow bloggers and chose to do my own thing.

This is a flight deck ("cockpit" Camilla) view of the standard solid state video cam mounted on the mirror stem with those ball joint thingys.  The wire leads to the remote control....


....that is craftily mounted on the right hand mirror stem.  You don't get this superior functionality with Hero cams!

And finally a quiz.

Question 1:  What is the diameter of the drive shaft (to the nearest 0.2 mm) of this Yamaha micro Tenere?

Question 2: What in three words do these road signs found commonly on the verges of Greek roads near road side shrines signify?


That's all for now folks.

12 comments:

  1. Sexing goats is only really necesary if one is planning to milk them - and it's nothing to do with the size of their horns either. I like the picture below best - I have a ginger pussy myself - but it is good to see that She Who Wears The Trousers has suffered no ill effects from being thrown from the saddle. Perhaps she should assert her Trouser Wearing more freely to stop you taking such risks in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nikos:

    A ginger pussy? Words fail me...

    Fondest regards
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nikos! I don't know the shaft size on that scooter - us boys only know inches! - but I reckon the message you're looking for is 'Watch your ass!". Although, judging from the other pictures, it could be "watch your Goat"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like that water was 1916 vintage....a good year for water?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beast No.1 is ugly!! And scary. Best No.3 is adorable!!

    Very interesting camera setup. I like the thumb trigger, great idea. Does the camera have image stabilization? I'm wondering if the shaky video is coming from being mounted on the mirror? A long skinny ram-type mount on a long, skinny mirror mount, on a long, skinny handlebar. Or do you have a vibration dampener on the video mount? -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikos:

    I'm begining to like Camilla. She's so predictable.

    but I know you take pleasure in posting photos of Goats

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now if only the soap powders were the other way round they would make more sense, Skip Essex.

    Answer to Q2 has got to be

    Undertakers, first left

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sir:

    After rereading this post, I can tell you with certainty I would not live in a country where poisonous crayfish have access to the kitchen sink...

    How is your K75 running/

    Riepe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apologies to Commenters for late marking of your homework - I have been motorcycling across our soggy and windy country here to test out my new waterproof "pants" more of which never.

    Camilla. you little ginger pussy lover, you must form a syndicate with the thrown from that saddle missus of mine.

    Jack: speechless, YOU?? No sorry a mistake you came in later enquiring after my K75 "Lardyballs". All is good but not much on the road recently.

    Big dog: Inches will do.

    Affer: I've just been down your way and there was a lot of sodding water air AND ground born!

    Lori: Some sense at last on my comments section - thank you.

    In answer to your queries -

    Yes
    Yes you are probably correct
    No

    I need to fix my camera like you have done!

    Bob: You are very perceptive - goats have a little je ne sais quoi?

    Bikerted: Good answer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "Stop" sign means "Don't Stop" in Greek, just as "Ne" means "yes" rather than "no" in in their language (heck, even the Hungarians have "nem" meaning "no").

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even to think of having this in my kitchen or anywhere else in my house gives my the creeps, I am speaking of course of the first beast. But nothing a few glasses (or bottles) of Ouzo won't cure. The best Ouzo I ever had was something 'self brewed' when living with a Greek family on the island of Samos. Ah, and the fresh garden salads, homemade tsatsiki and souvlaki skewers. Mouthwatering memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't Gerald Durrell a successful Musician celebrity?

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter