Sunday, January 18, 2009

Didn't We Have a Lovely Time on the Way to Calais

This dear reader is my first real continental travelogue by motorcycle: The meeting in Calais had been agreed some months before when the new owner of the R1100R had announced that he would be waiting at Calais with a trailer to meet me to take the bike onto Germany. The sub zero conditions prevailing were not anticipated some months before however.

Part 1 - Camberley - dressing up:

Essential riding gear for January - 5 layers and Maplin electric insoles to boot (haha).

Part 2a - Buffoonery on the M20:

With 20 miles to run to Ashford I switch off the heated grips by mistake due to the faulty ergonomics of "off" being between 100% and 50%.

Part 2b - Arrival of hypothermia au mains.









Part 3 - Arrival at Ashford Travelodge

Part 4 - Some 20 minutes later having managed to remove my helmet:

I drink the best cup of tea.....in the world....ever: Thanks nice receptionsist Travelodge Ashford.








Part 5 - The next day at 07:30:

Sub zero start - almost failed - thanks for the push by the helpful motorist obviously not from Surrey.



Part 6 - Installed on the Euroshuttle:

I become an object of curiosity to the folks from Surrey heading to the ski slopes - why bother to drive all that way I muse - you can have frostbite on the M25 just as effectively as in Verbier. I tell the Euroshuttle staff that I live near Manchester - they look incredulous.

4 comments:

  1. Brrr - that looks chilly indeed! Was the German waiting with the trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he was! Luckily his car heater worked too although his car was running on LPG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my annual trips. Taking my bike for a ride on the undersea train.

    True RORO! (Ride on, ride off).

    I usually ride down down, from Macclesfield to Folkestone, straight onto Eurotunnel and spend the night at Etap Hotel, Coquelles. Then can make an early start next morning. (All booked on the t'interweb.)

    Off to Switzerland in May.Three days pootle to Archamps de Genevre (Ibis Hotel), three days riding in Switzerland, three days pootle back to Macc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alan
    Thanks for dropping by!
    I'm planning another trip this Summer (to Austria) so shall try out the Etap hotel.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter