Thursday, March 31, 2011

Two Museums, Mein Kampf and a Ship Canal

The Imperial War Museum North  - broken egg shell architecture by Daniel Libeskind as viewed from the Salford side of the Manchester Ship canal.  The building behind is a flour mill.
Large facade - small entrance door.

Keep calm and carry on

As I said...

Trabant papier mache in motion - this war museum focuses on the effects of war on people and society and Iron Curtain junk (no Ural motorcycle on display as presumably they could not afford the product placement fee)
Compulsory reading for every married couple in the Third Reich

The tallest  of the broken shells has  a viewing point and curiously the dioramas carry braile writing  - a thoughtful but possibly misplaced touch.

Across the canal at Salford Quays the Lowry Centre houses a small collection of works of the local painter LS Lowry

Naughty Nikos
Even the Lowry has a junk shop selling tittle tattle

As a result of Liverpudlians ripping off the Mancunians, a canal was completed in 1894 that connected Manchester docks with the sea.  People from Manchester travel to Liverpool to this day to visit their wheel trims and car radios.

============O===========

Addendum and Health warning for Gadjo Dilo


5 comments:

  1. The braille writing on the diorama boards reminded me of that funny Rowan Atkinson sketch of the deaf man walking around with a special light bulb device on his head; it flashed to let him know when the phone rang....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could afford a Lowry!!

    You certainly get about :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does a Trabant really count as a 'war' exhibit?? Seems like scraping the barrel to me: one might as well also have 'Allo 'Allo on a continuous video loop in the foyer. But, 'allo, who's that loitering at the entrance?? Over the years I've also found museums to be very good places to pick up women - ahh, sweet little Svetlana from the Dnepropetrovsk musuem of potato peeling implements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting architecture. I haven't heard of "broken egg shell". :)

    I believe I will skip "Mein Kampf" as required reading, but thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sir:

    Modern museum architecture reminds me of a huge boil on my ass. It is like combining the ambiance of an soace launch gantry with the intimacy of an airport interior.

    I saw my First Trabant in 1984. There was no shooting involved. I knew then that I had nothig to fear from a nation of people who would wait three years for a piece of motorized shit like the Trabant.

    I will be delighted to show you the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal when you get here (if you insist). There are some god restaurants and bars at one end of it.

    I should have read the brochure in the closing photograph when I was in college.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter