Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Family Duty

"The sea surrounds Constantinople like a garland even more so now than in Procopius' time as the Greater Istanbul Authority installed a working sewage system last week although tap water remains undrinkable." I briefed Miss Nikos carefully as we circled the Sea of Marmara for 2 hours awaiting our landing clearance at Ataturk International.

I wanted to show Miss Nikos where her παππούς had been born, and is now resting in peace:  11 years has now passed since, strictly against Orthodox convention, I dropped his casquet of ashes into the family tomb. I have not been struck down by lightning in the intervening decade so I reckoned I have got away with it especially as he had been checked in as hand luggage.  No ossary here.

First stop at the monastery office to be admitted to the locked Christian cemetery - of late there has been desecration of the graves . My grasp of the Greek language was sufficient enough to inadvertantly agree to let the priest  perform a tomb side blessing.
Somewhere in there is my family's sole remaining real estate in Turkey
My great Grandparents - before the fez ban.
...speeding away in the taxi before I am asked to contribute to the Patriarch's retirement fund.

8 comments:

  1. It looks like a somber occasion. Good to remember where we've come from though.

    Thank you for sharing Nikos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was a sunny day.... theodosius II wall?... did you find your granddads grave?? Next time i come , too ;O) Mrs. Nikos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody Turks, eh? Plus you can't drink the water. Here's an idea: get them to pay the Greeks for all the land and lives they took as their entry requirement for joining the EU. That should clear some of the debt.

    There's a Miss Nikos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trobairitz: sometimes I try to forget!

    Gadjo: Don't mention the Armenians, Curds....Midnight Express...Norman Stone a turkish agent

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... or any theories regarding the romantic life of the founder of their modern nation. I always thought that Midnight Express should be remade as a musical, and made a bit more upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...you aren't saying that he was a complete womanising alcholic are you?

    Hilarious musical! I'll call Andrew's agent to arrange a meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought he was g*y. (And Jewish and a freemason...... )

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..heaven forbid!

    You are correct, I was using an incorrect reference work.."Famous Turkish War Heros Married 1923-25"

    Apologies to all

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter