Thursday, November 26, 2009

Exclusive Triple Product Test

An IKEA Boholmen sink and a pair of waterproof Forma Street Evo boots.

A weekend of high gusting winds and swirling rain coincided with the annual servicing run for my GS so with the guidance of the weather oracle I had elected to engage the services of Chester BMW Motorrad who had promised to loan me a F800GS. To fill in the time during the day I had planned to install a new kitchen sink. Fortuitously last week I had noticed in the Riders Digest that Knox were marketing Forma Street Evo boots in sizes upto size 50 (UK 13) so on the basis that boots this size appear as regularly as Hailey's comet, I engaged credit card.

The early morning ride to Ellesmere Port aka "Chester" on my R1150 GS was taken on motorways - the M56 runs approximately west and crosses a series of viaducted valleys in its path across the Wirral - the road makers thoughtfully had provided warning windsock signs at the approach to each blast zone of Irish sea drizzle saturated sodding rain but the Forma boots would have nothing of it and maintained my feet in a dry state and proved to be very comfortable. The trusty GS coped relatively well too.

I was handed the key to a canary yellow F800GS that, as it turned out, seemed to enjoy travelling in straight lines except on the M56 where it had the idea that it was a leaf. I therefore elected at the earliest opportunity to complete the journey to Knutsford on more sheltered A roads and having picked my way around Runcorn (?) followed signs to Northwich Thundersprint territory. This bike's sweet revving and willing engine was not in sympathy with the chassis that seemed to be stuck in a groove and cornered most unwillingly (I'm wondering whether the head bearings were knackered?).

As for the Boholmen kitchen sink - cheap, functional and boring but it was the only 1 1/2 bowl sink that would fit between my dishwasher and the corner swing out unit.



The F800GS - looks like a collection of bits that don't quite fit together.

5 comments:

  1. Nikos:

    would I be so bold to presume that you didn't like the F800GS ? OR, was there a problem with it that had to be repaired ?

    Nevertheless, it was nice to get a loaner bike

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting Nikos. I had often felt that the 800 might be an ideal compromise machine: enough oomph, but light and manoeuvrable. Now I wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob and Affer
    The F800GS - engine is sweet but the rest of the bike looks unfinished. I believe the steering issue could have been a worn head bearing on this particular example. I'm spoilt - the R1150GS feels so stable in all conditions (and believe me I have encountered all conditions except snow during the "summer's" IAM observed rides).
    Loan bikes are "free" at BMW dealers as is the coffee. The labour rate, hwever, is very expensive! When my bike goes back in December for soem warranty work I shall be "testing" a K1300GT....

    N

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather liked the canary 800 they lent me when Ruby was in, so maybe you got a duff one.

    Ellesmere Port is to Chester as Luton is to London..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nikos,

    I quite like the yellow and black colours, since you get a free bike to play with each time you have a service,is you bike serviced every weekend lol...


    cheers,

    Dave....

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter