Monday, October 28, 2013

A City of Brick Elephants and Borgwards

This weekend I went to Bremen. Mrs N was attending a seminar and I decided to freeload on all the nice food. I therefore had some time to stroll autumally around  this city between meals.


A lunar park appeared next to the hotel.




A precession through the city was going on and in best Hanseatic tradition wind comes before electric traction


A rather nice Isabella panzer car

A fine brick elephant in the park near the hotel - I thought  this was a Buddist convenience but my attempts at locating the entrance came to nil.

Somewhere over the jagged brickwork and up the River Wese is the Beck's brewery

A rather fetching Autumn scene  by the River Wese

A duck swimming.

Mühle Am Wall - this is a smock mill according to wikipedia

I must look up the significance of this trumpeting statue


Some sort of religious building in the Domhof? 

This is the weekend that the clocks went back (and forth)

Trams here function despite leaves.

I then made a spectatularly multi-modal journey to England by BSAG tram, Ryanair aeroplane, Great Anglian train, London Transport underground train, Virgin pendolino (a train), Northern rail  wheezing "train"  and BMW motorcycle.

16 comments:

  1. Ah, the Borgward Isabella - wasn't the world a lovelier place when there were more car marques to choose from? When I was a kid I knew an old bloke who'd worked for Lanchester back in the glory days of British car building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so - it all went downhill with the Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet!

      Delete
  2. That brick elephant is quite something. I wonder at the significance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "This imposing ten-metre high structure — designed by Fritz Behn — was completed in 1931 as a monument to the German colonies which then included Cameroon, Togo, Deutsch-Ostafrika [Tanzania], Deutsch-Südwestafrika [Namibia] and several islands."

      In 1988, however, a metal sign was created next to the elephant by the youth wing of the Bremen metal workers union in support of the Anti-Apartheid movement. In 1990, with the celebration of Namibian independence from South Africa, the elephant itself was re-dedicated as the “Bremen anti colonial monument” thereby attempting to invert its historical meaning yet retaining the original design.

      Delete
  3. I have no fond memories of Bremen, and rather found it a boring place with little attraction, maybe I should revisit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubtless my repertoire of snaps reinforced your view? It's good for a day and Ryanair have a base there...

      Delete
  4. Nikos:

    Not many Borgwards here, no Wolsely's either. Not many Rileys but my friend had one.

    That " Autumn scene by the River Wese " I keep staring at those water level marks

    What ? No photos of the Puffing Train ?

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob

      Wheezing train - class 323 - see wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_323 "The class 323's are known for making a distinctive sound from their three phase traction motors which is heard when powering up and down. This noise is particularly interesting during times of poor adhesion and wheel slip."

      Delete
    2. Nikos:

      unfortunately there are no audio tracks of the "Wheezing" sound

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    3. Nikos:

      never mind, I found one . . .

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNLmA4bj8Y

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    4. Bob

      Amazing! i never thought to look on Youtube - nothing goes unrecorded these days including Mrs Merkel.

      Delete
    5. Mrs Merkel was unimpressed back when it was only 'her' people being spied on, now that she's in the focus she is not amused. Why?

      Delete
    6. Nikos:

      For a moment, I thought I was talking to myself. Glad to have Sonja on board.

      I don't mind if people spy on me, as Winston Churchill once said "I've got nothing to hide" but you've got to know in what context and where he was when he said this

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    7. It was Queeen Victoria who was not amused and Winston Churchill was normally drunk.

      Delete

Site Meter