Thursday, May 30, 2013

Haggis is for Pooves and Canal Action

Further to recent feedback from fellow blogster Jon El Diente of River Thames fame, I thought it proper to show food that the NW team sampled during our recent sojourn in Greece at Orthodox Easter time.

This is a soup made from putrified goat entrails
This is barbequed goat entrails wrapped around a skewer
This is barbequed goat entrails made to look palatable.
The Greeks have a word for barbequed goat entrails and it is κοκορέτσι (lit.: haggis is for pooves).

Preserved cockroaches and olives
Something foraged from a mountainside garnished with goat dung.
Putrified goat dung crunch dessert
In other news:

Within 30s of arriving at the Eagles Nest the cats arrived....
The local shepherdess has bought some new rather fetching pantaloons don't you agree?



Here is a recommended pit stop when returning to Athens just down from the National highway, a placed called Isthmus where the Corinth Canal feeds into the Argo Saronic Gulf.  This is the first time that we have seen a ship pass and that quaint little sinking bridge sink!

19 comments:

  1. N, that putriified goat dung crunch dessert looks yummy - no putriified meatballs pictures though, guess you'd eaten them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikos:

    I think I would be loosing a lot of weight if I visited there, not that that would be a bad thing

    don't they make regular hamburgers ?

    I liked that sinking bridge

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, do you still have your eyes on my Wunderlich appendage?

      Delete
    2. Nikos:

      I appreciate your offer but I have been trying very hard to get used to what the BMW engineers have wisely designed. I am learning that if they designed it that way, then it must be the best way. I have to take a closer look at it on the weekend. I go in for the front brake line recall on Saturday and then I can put everything back together.

      I have been known to like soft, young appendages though . . .

      Oh, I found out why they don't ship to North Ameerica.

      http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200R/8410122.html

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
  3. Ahhh Nikos. So many parts of the goat to eat, so little time.......... ;-)

    I like the pic of Mrs. Nikos and her pussy cats - what was she thinking with that cheeky smirk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She generally thinks that cats are more reliable than humans!

      Delete
  4. I am drooling with those photos! Fortunately I had my nice share during Easter in Crete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before my vege conversion I used to love all that Greek stuff, dung and all. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha goat dung.. nonono Nikos... herbal teas from the mountains of Arkadias.. and Kokorezi ;O) never mind, Orestis understand it ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Greeks are all the same, hate Shepherds pie and love goat entrails

      Delete
    2. Nikos:

      MMMM, shepard's pie, yummy but no entrails please, just plain american/canadian beef

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    3. Bob

      That would be Cottage pie then!

      Delete
  7. Hmm, I don't remember any of those goat-entrail dishes being on the menu at Jimmy's Restaurant in London's Soho. I got a glimpse of the Corinth Canal from the train, from which it is a magnificent sight - your photos make it look a little tamer, though they do feature Mrs Nikos by way of compensation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy's probably complied with Health and Safety legislation.

      Delete
  8. Eww! Is the food array simply because goat and weed are about all the grow in Greece? ;) I need to learn the herbal weeds and learn to boil rocks for flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is normally mostly recognisable and possibly edible in Greece - this stuff is to do with end of Lent and the Easter period.

      Delete

Site Meter