Friday, July 27, 2012

The Tale of the Manx Pussy Cat

Manx are prized as skilled hunters, and therefore have often been sought by farmers with rodent problems (must not say rat on the Isle of Man), and been a preferred ship's cat breed. They are said to be social, tame and reproductively active. An old local term for the cats is stubbin. Manx have been exhibited in cat shows since the 1800s, with the first known breed standard published in 1903.



Scuba divers are a funny bunch - they seem to delight in being attacked by wild animals such as seals.  Some are also fascinated by nudibrancs.

I'm visiting the Isle of Man with a group from my dive club - the water is cold and no plankton is blooming so the focus is on seal encounters rather than basking sharks.  Here is Roger trying to fix some defective dive gear...
 We are staying in the far south at Port Erin and diving mostly around the Calf of Man so I decided to visit the far North on the last day prior to taking the fast boat back to Liverpool.

On the road from Port Erin to Peel - not a dicky bird in sight.
At Peel - getting closer to picking up the TT course!
Momentarily I lose GPS coverage and am directed via Dublin and Liverpool to Ramsey!
Approaching Ballaugh....
Unfortunately I am moving so fast that Ballaugh Bridge flashes past.

At Point of Ayre (northernmost point of IoM) I fail to find a tea room...
..but see the biggest fog horn this side of Ardnamurchan Point
Salvation at Bride
I manage to offload this dodgy money for a coffee and cake just before a Michael Dunlop lookalike walked in with his fabulous GF and a chap wearing a BMW club polo shirt - how all very odd.
The film crew have been waiting for me on the notortious mountain section of the TT course as I doodlebug down to Douglas from Ramsey.
There were a lot of these IAM observers out on the Mountain showing me how to get my leg over or knee down or whatever.
I made it to Douglas and look for the port.
Sea front Douglas.
The guy in the ferry queue on the Guzzi had one of these - I thought that it was such a good idea I bought one myself.
This is Liverpool from afar - the best view.


Many more holiday snaps are -----> HERE

11 comments:

  1. Nice pussy cat pictures Nikos.

    I think you had entirely too much fun on your time away.

    I really liked the sunset pictures. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in that corner since the early Nineties. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies!

    Compared to your recent multi-ethnic INTERNATIONAL blog in feast this trip was a Sunday school walk in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikos,
    Knowing you, I suspect you're trying to deflect the RSPCA after you've carelessly run over 2 local moggies after over-imbibing on the local Laxey Ale. (Dubbed Laxative Ale after our 1969 TT visit to the Island).

    Salutations from a soggy NZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoff
    I avoided the laxative and focused momentarily on Chilean red!

    N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikos:

    that 180° scanning mirror looks neat, but I would be distracted by the handsome rider in the reflection.

    You should learn to slow down a bit

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob

    Thanks, I am handsome when out of focus and distorted.

    If I slowed down anymore I would fall over!

    Thanks for dropping by, N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright, Nikos. Does that contraption work or what? Do you trust it to keep you from getting blindsided? Looks like a pretty strange gizmo.

    I met a guy with one of those stubby cats, well, his dad had one. He tried to convince me that it was some fancy breed and not just a slow animal that had been caught in the door. I didn't really believe it until today.

    Brady
    Behind Bars

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos! I haven't been to the Isle of Man but I loved the idea of travelling around it vicariously on a motorbike. Poor Manx cats with no tail! I had no idea the Isle of Man was so close to Liverpool. We must go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emm

    You must - I was amazed how friendly and understandable the people were compared to Liverpudlians!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brady

    Yes, the blind spot eliminator works! I'm now fitting some stinger ant-cager missiles.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter