Friday, August 26, 2011

In Search of Politically Incorrect Cigar Smoke - part 2

Needless to say on exiting the Lincoln Tunnel we ended up going towards Hoboken and Weehawken due to roadworks and a posted diversion via Aberrsywyth.  We are now well on our way to the BMW MOA  International Rally at Bloomsburg PA.


As Jack's voice was not available on the GPS I use Erika who promptly gets upset with me due to the enforced diversion - nice!
I forgot to wave at Jack's sister when passing Lyndhurst but here is a library picture.


I blinked and missed the Delaware Water Gap but here is the River Mosel instead taken from the rather well located service area.
We encounter one of those mighty GSs on migration - we are near the MOA rally at last.


First things first

 At this stage we have not located Jack R as nobody we ask can understand our accents?  We wade through the extreme heat and humidity of the Bloomsburg show ground looking out for Jack and taking in the exhibits on the way.


The awesome Puch Maxi moped - the sort of machine that people living in Horley would hanker after.


I try in vain to purchase this for my front garden.


A lemon of a combination.
A nice honker



Wunderlich go camping on  a grand scale

Nikos wonders why anyone would want to spend all night looking at the final drive of a GS in extreme discomfort (i.e. camping)
This is more like it if one really has to camp
If my memory serves me correctly, we found Jack R.


Sat on the right  - Jack R!
Jack is a member of Mac Pac (an affiliated BMW club) and here is their gazebo where we were warmly welcomed like any long lost colonials would have been.
Anyone for a BMW Test ride?
In the hope of winning the rafflle (prize = BMW motorcycle) we attended the grand Closing Ceremony packed into the grandstand and were warmly serenaded with kerosene flames from some sort of bizarre Northern American atmospehere warming ritual  - as if it wasn't already hot enough!


WTF?
WTF?
The Closing Ceremony was, how should one put it, long winded and we noticed that our friendly Mac Pac team had quietly vanished away!  




Combinations are big and red in the USA
Later that evening .....




The Holiday Inn Bloomsburg welcomes MOA participants
The sun sets over PA
Several cocktails later (made to Jack's exact specification) we launch into the appetisers

11 comments:

  1. Don't know if it appeals to Horley dwellers, but as a former Puch dealer in Lancashire, that Maxi is, in fact, a 'Free Spirit'. At least, that's what they called it over here. Differentiated by having rear suspension and big seats for (ahem) the larger American derriere, they were sold by the dozen through Sears Roebuck until the contract ended....then they off-loaded the balance onto the UK where, speaking personally, I also sold loads!!!!

    (Removes anorak and nerd hat and slinks away...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get any free copies of Jack R's book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. greta pics adn yor twist on all things menia should be appluded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir:

    I will write a longer post tomorrow... But at the moment I'm shooing a hurricane out of the kitchen.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell, boy! I'd sure like one of them pretty little things for MY front garden too - danged if I'd want that awful Michelin Balloon Man though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nikos:

    The stock picture of Lundhurst is a marked improvement over the downtown section of the US town of same name. Yet across Route 3, neighboring Rutherford (NJ) does have a nice little section that looks just like this.

    Regarding our first meeting, I engaged a golf car to run me through the rally, while I searched for two distinctly European types. I was rounding the far corner when I heard a woman yell, "Hey Sexy."

    Demanding the driver to stop, I stood up and waved my hat, to see your wife, "Electra," blowing me a kiss. (The battered) baby seal look must work at some range.) As you recall, we took shelter in the beer tent and made our introductions.

    It was my intention to flip you the key to Fire Balls, and let you rup around the alley. I have no idea how this offer got lost in the conversation.

    Fondest regards,
    jack/reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats for making it there! This blond would have ended up in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Affer, you always fail to amaze me - did you also sell Reliant Robins?

    Dear El D

    1 free copy

    Dear Roger

    tks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Big Dog

    My opening offer is 40 camels

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jack

    The battered baby seal impersonation did not go unnoticed and everything you say is approximately correct except that you did offer me the keys to Fire Balls but the seat was too damned hot to sit on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ulrika

    I have always wanted to go to Mexico!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter